3.23.2009

Slowing down

Since my last post, I've written 1,634 words, which is a little over 300 words per day; not very comparable to my 2,500 wpd over the first two days. While I have been writing a lot less than I wanted, I was thinking about it on Sunday while my girlfriend and I were walking through the park. With what I've got now, I've been doing a lot of telling, which goes against that super-important writer's code, "Show, don't tell." This is what made Hemingway what he was, and this is what I need to work on more.

I think the best idea for me would be for me to switch from first-person to third-person. I find that I've been trying to hard to be in my character's head, to show his thoughts, but his thoughts are just explaining every part of the story away. I think, with the story, if we're outside his head and don't know exactly what he's thinking, it would make for some better twists and turns when he does something we may not expect. In third person, I can bring that about much better; in first person I've found myself trying to do that, but using the character's thoughts to rationalize and foreshadow and explain and everything of that nature.

I'm not really sure how I want to proceed. I want to continue moving forward and not take the time required to go back and edit and change what I've got to third person, but I know I'll have to do that eventually, so why not get it out of the way? I guess if I don't have any updates to the word count for a while, you'll know what I've chosen.

While I get to that, here's a little quote for you: "There is no great writing, only great rewriting." -Justice Brandeis.

No comments: