3.31.2009

Re-writing in progress

I've begun to re-write the novel in third person. Thus far, over the past two days, I've written 1,668 words, or 1.11% of my target. I've already been able to correct a few errors and expound on a few things, so I've probably pulled the 1,668 words from about 1,200. This makes me quite happy, since I am doing more showing and less telling; I'm definitely doing better than I thought I would at fleshing some things out and staying out of the characters' heads, which was the predominant problem I had noticed after only 17 or so pages of the first draft. For purposes of ease, though, I will be referring to that original first person draft as v2.0, since this is my second go-round at the novel, and the more current third person draft is v2.1. I've also re-ordered a few things, since I got a new idea on the chapter placement a little while ago. Hopefully it will give the hook in the beginning a bigger impact, since I will be able to build up to it a bit more and make people actually care about the characters and what will happen to them. That's my main concern.

Hopefully that turns out all right. I hope your writing is coming along as well, and be sure to join me in Script Frenzy! (See below.) I really look forward to pumping something out in a short time and maybe getting my overall writing confidence up from finishing something. Hope to see you there with me.

No comments: